Dec 31, 2015

2015 End of Year Book Survey

2015-end-of-year-book-survey-1024x984

Thanks to the Perpetual Page Turner for this amazing idea that I love doing every year.
Harleen and I are both participating in this post so Harman's answers will be labeled with LB and in blue while Harleen's answer will be labeled with HK and in red.
best-YA-books-2014-900x244
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
LB: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
HK: The Martian by Andy Weir
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
LB: Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton. Everyone was loving this book and there was me in a corner just hating it.
HK: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. Obviously my sister loved it, but I didn't enjoy the writing style. I didn't hate it, but it was a disappointment.
 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
LB: Forgetting August's ending was....gahhh I can't even talk about. The book was just a disappointment . 
HK: Violent Ends by Shaun David Hutchinson
 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
LB: Definitely Red Queen. I convinced my school librarian and public librarian to buy the book and since I work at Barnes and Noble, a lot of customers as well.
HK: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman. An amazing graphic novel I recently read and have gotten my sister and friends to read.
 5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
LB: Best new series: Red Queen or The Lone City (The Jewel) both were absolutely amazing!!
Best Sequel: The Heir by Kiera Cass. The Selection is one of my favorite series and this book broke me.
Best Series Ender: Aflame by Penelope Douglas. I'm so sad to see this series go but I have plenty more to look forward to frome her :)
HK: Best new series: Thunder Road series by Katie McGarry

Best Sequel: The Heir by Kiera Cass. Beautifully written and definitely a good continuation to the series

Best Series Ender: Tied by Emma Chase. I freaking love this series, and Drew is one of my favorite characters of all time. 
 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
LB: KC Lynn, she's a new adult author who is self-published but I can really see the growth in her writing but her characters are 100% swoon-worthy. 
HK: Ernest Cline, he is amazing at both character and plot development. 
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
LB: Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof. This book brought so much light into my understanding of female inequality. I don't enjoy reading nonfiction but this was the first book I did truly love. 
HK: The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz. I don't really read middle grade, but I had fun with this one especially because of the Disney characters.
 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
LB: Falling for Danger by Chanel Cleeton. Kate is such a badass. 
HK: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. So good, definitely pick it up if you haven't.  
 9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
LB: Since Glass Sword is coming out right before my birthday I will probably be rereading Red Queen. 
HK: Probably The Wicked Will Rise because the next book in the Dorothy Must Die series is coming out next year and I'll probably need a brush up.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
LB: 
The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)    The Heir (The Selection, #4)
HK:  


11. Most memorable character of 2015?
LB: Definitely Cade in Resisting Temptation by KC Lynn. That man is definitely right up there with Cage York but Cade is definitely much more of a bad boy ;)

HK: Definitely Mark Watney from The Martian. Freaking. Hilarious. Even when he's stranded on Mars.
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
LB: The Sleeper in the Spindle by Neil Gaiman. Damn, if you ever need a fast read that will make your mind explode then read this. Not to mention the illustrations are beautiful :D
HK: All My Sons by Arthur Miller. An amazing play that I would definitely recommend. It sends an amazing message, and Miller is a classic author everyone should read.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
LB: Once again that would have to be Half the Sky. The reason for feminism in developed countries seems stupid when you read this. This book will prove to anyone why feminism is needed, and it is definitely not because of unequal pay.
HK: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. I've always been interested in war, but this book put it in an entire different perspective. When I got to the epilogue I was truly speechless.
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? 
LB: Persuasion by Jane Austen. The plot was amazing. 
HK: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Why did I wait so long? It's been sitting on my shelf for forever.
 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
LB: If I'm looking for a fancy quote that destroys me then it is: “In the fairy tales, the poor girl smiles when she becomes a princess. Right now, I don't know if I'll ever smile again.” ~Red Queen

If we're looking for something that makes me smile like an idiots then it is: "He grinned. 'My girl. My fucking jersey.'" ~Until Friday Night
HK: “I guess you could call it a "failure", but I prefer the term "learning experience".” from The Martian. Check out my favorite quotes post here
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
LB: Shortest Book: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
Longest Book: Falling Away by Penelope Douglas
HK: Shortest Book: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
Longest Book: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
LB: Falling for Danger...I truly was not expecting the book to end the way that it did. It took me a long time to accept that it ended the way that it did.
HK: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. 
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
LB: Sawyer and Grace from Sweet Temptation by KC Lynn. Sexy Sawyer all the way!
HK: Callie and Kayden from The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden <3
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
LB: Cade Walker and little Ruthie. This relationship might be the only reason that Cade has surpassed Cage. Their relationship melts my heart.
HK: Jude and Noah from I'll Give You the Sun. They're so freaking cool, I can't.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously.
LB: The Heir by Kiera Cass
HK: Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
LB: The Sleeper and the Spindle. I read this solely because Harleen said it was a fast read and it was still good.
HK: All Quiet on the Western Front. Well... my English teacher didn't really recommend so much as give me a grade for reading this book, but it was still amazing.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
LB: Cade Walker from Resisting Temptation by KC Lynn. I think he may have taken over Cage York's position as favorite book boyfriend...sorry Cage.
HK: David from Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. Funny and smart, what else do you need.
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
LB: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard definitely.
HK: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I'm pretty sure it's the only one I read...
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
LB: Red Queen. It was one of the reasons I loved it as much as I did. I could picture everything.
HK: Spinning Starlight by RC Lewis. Even though I think she spent too much time on it, it was really well written. 
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
LB: Until Jax by Aurora Rose Reynolds. 
HK: Either Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins or On the Fence by Kasie West. Both were so freaking cute, I can't.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
LB: Only one book made me cry and that was The Heir by Kiera Cass, that ending plus Shawn Mendes will bring anyone to tears.
HK: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen. The ending... 
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
LB: Fighting Temptation by KC Lynn. If this wasn't free on Amazon I would have never experienced the magic of KC's books. 
HK: The Trouble with Destiny by Lauren Morrill
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
LB: The Heir by Kiera Cass. THAT ENDING KILLED ME
HK: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen. Again, the ending.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
LB: Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Autobiography. Neil kept it unique as always. 
HK: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I really enjoyed this book, but it really was weird.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
LB: An Act of Redemption by KC Lynn. Why the hell she would put us through that emotional rollercoaster I will never know. 
HK: First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung. I wasn't mad at the book. No it was more the Khmer Rouge. And communism. 

book-blogging-900x244
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
LB: Probably my Red Queen review. I don't think I've ever spent so much time on a review.
HK: Probably my series review of Dorothy Must Die. I had fun writing it, and I had a heart attack once I realized I hadn't written it earlier. 
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
LB: Most likely the 2015 Debut Author Bash with Stephanie Oakes. I loved interviewing her since I loved her book so much :)
HK: Probably any of my Waiting on Wednesday's. Especially the one I wrote on The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. Those gifs... I crack up every time.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
LB: The 2015 Debut Author Bash where I hosted Stephanie Oakes. 
HK: Probably the readathon we participated in over the summer. 
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
LB: I beta read a book for the first time! The book is set for release in 2017 but I am so excited for you all to read it! I will post more information on the book when I can.
HK: Well, I started blogging December 2014, so I guess mine would be really starting and getting into the community of book blogging. It's so much fun I'm so glad my sister asked me to join.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
LB: Just getting the motivation to. This year was so stressful with college applications and high school in general that whenever I had a free moment I just wanted to sit and watch TV or read. 
HK: Balancing it out with the stress of junior year. I wish I had more time to read, then I would have been able to write more reviews.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

ARC Review & Giveaway: Red Queen Victoria Aveyard

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
LB: The whole blog :P Kidding, but there isn't a specific post
HK: My review of The Martian because I loved that book, and I wish people would read the review and choose to pick it up themselves. It really would be worth it. 
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
LB: Evie Seo's Society 6 Shop. Dorm room shopping is going to be fun this summer :P (Sorry Mom)
HK: 
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
LB: I completed my Goodreads goal of reading of 70 books. I read 87 books!
HK: I did accomplish my goal of reading 50 books this year! I read a total of 56. 

looking-ahead-books-2015-900x244
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
LB: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.
HK: I'm going to reread the entire Lunar Chronicles series so I can finally get to Cress and Winter by Marissa Meyer because I remember almost nothing. 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
LB: The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury. This is one I'm definitely going to buy before reading :D
HK: The Crown by Kiera Cass. The next book in the Selection series.
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
LB: Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman
HK: These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
LB: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard and The Crown by Kiera Cass. 
HK: The Crown by Kiera Cass 
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
LB: Blog more, this year was so complicated and stressful with my personal life that this blog took the back burner. I definitely want to post at least a couple times a week.
HK: I'm striving to read 75 books in 2016 which may be too much, but we'll see....
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
LB: I haven't read any since I'm still trying to catch up on all the books that came out in 2015!
HK: I haven't read any....

No comments:

Post a Comment