May 28, 2015

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk
Number of Pages: 352

Synopsis:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.
A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography.
I started reading this book for book club, and because so many people have said so many good things about it, I was really excited to pick it up. Honestly, it didn't disappoint at all!

The thing I found most interesting about this book were the pictures. They made a lot of the scenes seem much more real and really creepy. There was one particular scene where I had to put the book down because I was reading it was night, I was alone, and I was seriously scared something was going to jump out at me.

The characters and the plot were so well thought out and structured that I really connected with them and was sincerely scared for them, especially nearing the end. The complexity of the situation Jacob was put in also added a factor of suspense in the story, and the entire plot was so original I couldn't have predicted anything as I was reading.

Although, the only thing was that there was so many kids living in Miss Peregrine's home I couldn't keep track of everyone, only during the last few chapters was I really able to figure out who everyone was. Also, the relationship Jacob had with a few of the characters (sorry, trying not to spoil anything) seemed a little more than strange to when taking into account his past relatives. 

Overall, I loved this book and would recommend it to everyone. But, if you are easily freaked out I would recommend not reading it really late at night.

Rating: 4 out of 5
                                              

1 comment:

  1. I read this one ages ago (and loved it!) but I can’t remember too much, and I have the second book on my shelf, so a re-read of the first book is definitely a must. Can’t wait for the movie adaption! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete