May 24, 2015

Review: Blackbird by Anna Carey

Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: HarperTeen
Number of pages: 256

Synopsis:
This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.
A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her. 
On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined. 
The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists. 
I started reading this book for the book club at our school, and at first I was really excited because I had never read a book in second person before this. Although, as I was reading I felt the plot get a little confusing, and I questioned a lot of what "I" was doing.

The plot was very well thought out and very suspenseful which I really liked, and it really kept me hooked. And, it ended in a way that left the reader wanting the second book. But there were some chapters and sections of the book that were really unclear, and although they were supposed to create suspense they really just ended up confusing me. Yet, despite these section I would like to give a shoutout to the author because I thought the writing in second person was done very well and it left me satisfied with the book.

Although the one thing that really kept me off this book was the main character. Now, I understand that she had just had a traumatic experience and has no idea who or where she is, but there were so many things she did that I just couldn't open myself up to accepting. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say that when I say this I am mostly talking about her relationship with the other characters. While I was reading I just found myself questioning everything she did and if I would do that too. I understand that I'm supposed to adapt myself so that I am the main character, especially with second person, but I just couldn't connect with her at all. 

Overall, I don't think I will be continuing on with this series, anytime soon at least, even with the suspense that it left off with. I really did enjoy the plot, but I don't think I will be able to connect with the characters even with another book.

Rating: 3 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment